Monday, October 19, 2015

Long Time No See!

Hi everyone! Wow, I can't believe it's almost been a whole month since my last post... Time sure flies!

Lately, I haven't been doing much. The last few weeks have been me getting used to school, and living on my own. You know, figuring out which classes will be difficult, where to buy living supplies, and hardest of all--how to do laundry. (But no worries, I pulled it off!)

I'll talk about some of the trips I took a few weeks ago in a separate post, but for now, I'll leave you guys with a very important aspect of living in Japan: Divvying up one's trash.

In Japan, there are hardly any general trashcans--everything is divided into もえる (can be burned; so things like paper, cardboard, wood, etc.) and もえない (can't be burned; plastic, etc.) trash. In most cases, there is also a separate bin for leftover food and drink containers (cans, bottles). This is how trash cans are labeled just about anywhere, even on the street. In my dorm, I have to carefully think when taking out the trash, which is definitely a new experience--I never really dealt with anything other than basic recycling. But now that I'm getting used to it here, I may become even more conscientious when I go back home!

Anyway, that's my tidbit for the day. So if you're planning on coming to Japan anytime soon, remember: もえる = paper, もえない = plastic! Look at the labels carefully so you don't go around messing with the trash people's jobs. It's very frowned upon to carelessly through things in the wrong bin.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hana, this is great information. I had no idea. Now I just need to see if I can recognize the signs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip!
    Taiwan had no place in public to throw trash either; we take that stuff for granted in the US. -MYD

    ReplyDelete